When you are setting up a personal server for the first time or simply seeking to upgrade or update, you may wonder just what hardware components are necessary versus what is unnecessary. Consider racks for example, do you absolutely have to have a rack for your server? Today’s SuperUser Q&A post has some helpful answers to a curious reader’s question. Today’s Question & Answer session comes to us courtesy of SuperUser—a subdivision of Stack Exchange, a community-driven grouping of Q&A web sites. Photo courtesy of Tom Raftery (Flickr). The Question SuperUser reader GoldieLocks wants to know if it is absolutely necessary to have a rack to place a replacement server in: I can get some decent deals on eBay for rack-mount servers (described as, for example, 2U rack-mount server) that I am looking at to replace my Synology NAS. Would I be able to just buy this 2U server and sit it under my desk somewhere, or is it a requirement that you absolutely have to have a rack to put it in? What does a rack give you that sitting on its own somewhere does not? Does GoldieLocks really need a rack to place a replacement server in? The… Read full this story
- Frank Lampard challenges Mason Mount to eclipse his England career
- Pressure mounting on Tories over calls for action against Boris Johnson
- Why we really need to take a digital detox!
- Fortnite update 5.3 early patch notes, server downtime TODAY, Leaked Skins, Rift-To-Go
- Patients at Mount Carmel Hospital raise concerns over privacy issues and lack of activities
- Mason Mount's Derby County impact and potential assessed by Jody Morris
- The funniest reviews left on the Argos website you NEED to read
- Thomas Bjorn tips Rory McIlroy to start racking up the trophies
- After Wonga, legal loan sharks are still out there — and we need to stop them
- Bikes and bike racks to be permanently removed from Temple Meads
Do Rack-Mount Servers Actually Need to Be in a Rack? have 319 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at March 17, 2015. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.