This week’s Massively Overthinking comes to us from Kickstarter donor Dahui, who asks, “What do you think MMO developers can do to try to minimize the toxic behaviors that are so prevalent in some of the bigger name MMOs?” I posed Dahui’s question to the writers, and now I pose it to you. Brendan Drain (@nyphur): The reality is that the internet allows people to evade the consequences of their actions. When there are people out there actually bullying others over the internet while remaining unpunishable or even completely anonymous, we can hardly expect everyone to be friendly in our online games. There have been cases in which the media and Twitter mob have ruined people’s lives and nobody was punished, to say nothing of those who have called SWAT teams or bomb threats on twitch streamers. In Northern Ireland, we used to call it “10p terrorism” when bomb threats were called in from public phone boxes, but the internet has made this free and given it global reach. Law enforcement worldwide has some catching up to do in tackling these most serious of cases. That said, there are a few ways game developers might be able to eliminate abusive players… Read full this story
- DUP's Foster says backstop is 'toxic': 'We will support May if backstop is dealt with'
- Review of Oxfam culture finds ‘toxic work environment’
- Richard Curran: 'Government tries to play it cute over fall-out from no-deal Brexit'
- EU needs a dose of reality if we are to get a sensible deal, says DUP's Foster
- Theresa May pledges new Brexit deal for Northern Ireland
- Young people recognised for hardwork in the community
- Dedication of hero Community Rescue Service volunteers praised after busiest festive period
- Gibraltar open to Brexit arrangements with Spain even if divorce deal fails, Picardo says
- 'No-deal' could badly weaken Union, warns NI Secretary Bradley
- Possibility of CCTV along “scary” pathway to be discussed after St Albans community rallies around petition
Massively Overthinking: Dealing with toxicity in MMO communities have 321 words, post on massivelyop.com at July 22, 2015. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.