MMO veterans might be familiar with The Realm (also known as The Realm Online), which was one of the first class of graphical online RPGs. While it’s been trucking along since 1996, creator Stephen Nichols accused the current owners of letting The Realm lapse into “deep neglect” and wants to remake the game for modern sensibilities.
“2016 marks the 20-year anniversary of The Realm Online,” Nichols posted. “If you’re like me, you miss seeing the game thrive and grow as you know it can. I think it’s time for a remake of this internet classic with a fresh coat of paint and updated technology. Perhaps you agree. Yes, it’s time for a Realm remake, and I’m gonna make it happen.”
To wit, Nichols put up a Go Fund Me page to help raise $50,000 to finance initial promotion and preproduction for this “spiritual successor” called The Realm: Reawakened (not to be confused with FFXIV: A Realm Reborn). It will still be a 2-D room-based game, albeit one with updated graphics, cross-platform access, and improved technology. He admitted that he does not have the rights to the original game, although he’s in talks with the current owners.
Nichols said that he’s putting some of his own money into the game and has plans for a greater Kickstarter campaign in the future. How long could it take for a Realm remake to get off the ground? Nichols said that it could conceivably happen by the end of the year:
It’s my belief that The Realm: Reawakened has the potential to entertain a lot of people. The simple point-and-cick adventure style is very accessible and encourages a form of social play not found in many other products.
The original game has touched a great many people, fostered lifelong relationships, and helped to define what online gaming meant for countless folks. I want to bring that experience to more people!
I also believe that, with proper funding, we can release a playable version of The Realm: Reawakened in 2016. The first step on that journey, though, is driving the preproduction and preparing to fundraise on Kickstarter.
- 20-year-old winner of £328m US lottery jackpot wants to 'do good for humanity'
- Lagan body find is missing 20-year-old man: Police
- Heartbroken 20-year-old Wormwood Scrubs widow 'wants justice'
- Tributes pour in as 20-year-old farm girl killed in accident while operating milling machine is named
- A 20-year-old just won the fourth largest Mega Millions jackpot in history
- Twisted sex beast, 38, repeatedly raped 20-year-old girl hostage and urinated in her mouth
- Drug dealer that supplied 20-year-old woman with killer MDMA 'bomb' at festival has not been traced by police
- Devastated parents tell of heartache after 20-year-old daughter drops dead from an asthma attack
- 20-year-old touted as Roger Federer's successor and heir apparent
- Mum of 20-year-old transgender child reveals she's 'grieving' for her daughter as she gains a new son