The decision by Prime Minister Theresa May to review the long-planned Hinkley Point project is thought to have angered investors in France and China, with former UK Business Secretary Vince Cable saying the decision was related to May’s concerns over the impacts of Chinese investment. © Photo : EDF EnergyContractors on site at Hinkley Point C, May 2014. “When we were in government Theresa May was quite clear she was unhappy about the rather gung-ho approach to Chinese investment that we had,” he told BBC Radio. Just when you thought it was all tied up, the govt announces another review to Hinkley Point… — Kiran Stacey (@kiranstacey) July 28, 2016 Speaking later to Sky News, Cable said the prime minister has previously expressed concerns about the security implications of Chinese investment in the nuclear project. “This was an issue that was raised in general but it was also raised specifically in relation to Hinkley,” he said. Chinese Media Questions ‘Suspicious Approach’ While understanding Britain’s decision to take time to think about the project, China’s Xinhua news agency raised some questions regarding the possible motives behind the latest developments. “What China cannot understand is the ‘suspicious approach’ that comes from nowhere to Chinese investment in making the postponement.” The project is expected to create thousands of jobs and generate energy for Britain following the closure of coal-powered plants, with Xinhua questioning the UK’s commitment to being… Read full this story
- China has ‘little intent’ to take over Taiwan by force – Top US general
- Making a success of the EU recovery plan: leaders debate the Central European perspective
- China’s Coronavirus Lockdown Crushed Every Form Of Energy Generation Except Solar
- Outcry Forces UnitedHealthcare to Delay Plan to Deny Coverage for Some E.R. Visits
- N.Y.C. Will Again Delay Start of In-Person Classes for Most Students
- Liz Truss does it again! Brexit superwoman secures deal worth hundreds of millions pounds
- The Hill's Morning Report - ObamaCare here to stay
- At Least 5 States Set Single-Day Coronavirus Case Records
- Canadian Solar Inc (CSIQ) Q1 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Is This Book ‘The Art Of War’ For Fighting Climate Change?
UK Facing China Crisis as May Delays Hinkley Point Nuclear Plans have 344 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 1, 2016. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.