Although Pokemon Go isn’t advertised as an MMO, both experts and players have noted it does present some interesting similarities: Both have tons of players on servers where player locations are tracked. Both games task players with interacting with AI and (in simple ways) other players. And the game worlds in both are directly impacted by player action (remember, Pokemon Go is based on the Ingress map that was sourced out to the players). Being an MMORPG site, we’ve talked about socialization and how it relates in particular to our genre. However, much like other modern MMOs, PoGo can lead to the sort of “alone together” situation that seems to eternally threaten our genre’s relevance — indeed, its existence. Out-of-game communities Pokemon Go from the outside appears to have a thriving community. Like World of Warcraft, PoGo is based on a mainstream IP that’s been applied to genre that’s usually pretty niche. Similarly, the early game and fundamentals are accessible enough for people who aren’t genre veterans. But PoGo in particular suffers from some fairly obvious design issues. All games hide some statistics, but that, along with the reality-based nature of the game, spawned the production of and demand for various online and offline communities revolving around the game — without the developers’ inherent support. Much like the earliest… Read full this story
- How the world of Stranger Things might not be THAT strange after all: Scientists reveal how similar real-life weird science could be happening every day with gruesome creatures and creepy slime resembling that of the 'Upside Down'
- Microsoft unveils Minecraft Earth, an AR game for the Pokemon Go generation
- This Public Park Is Drawing Major Pokemon Gym Comparison
- ComicBook.com's Holiday Gift Guide for Pokemon Fans
- A scary airport, lofty monasteries and phallus worship! Exploring Bhutan, the ‘world’s happiest country’ and Lonely Planet’s ‘best place to visit in 2020’ - which only opened to tourists in 1974
- The 20 greatest moments in Pokemon history
- Catalonia holiday guide: what to see and do, plus the best hotels and restaurants
- 'World's sexiest explorer' Fabien Cousteau reveals the 'perfect storm' that sparks shark attacks and explains why he developed a great white submarine to study apex predators at close range
- The best Christmas movies on Disney Plus
- HTC Vive: Virtual Reality That's So Damn Real I Can't Even Handle It
Exploring real-life PUGs, the Plus, and the antisocial nature of Pokemon Go have 385 words, post on massivelyop.com at October 11, 2016. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.