Our fifth visit to the Chalke Valley History Festival, on a new site this year, no less picturesque but slightly easier to get to. As ever there were all sorts of fascinating speakers, I started the day with World War II pilots Colin Bell and Keith Quilter in conversation with Will Iredale. Iredale’s splendid The Kamikaze Hunters covers the airmen of the oft-neglected British Pacific Fleet such as Corsair pilot Quilter, who was shot down in July 1945 and rescued by an American submarine where he spent the final weeks of the war. Bell was a Mosquito pilot of the Light Night Striking Force and completed 50 missions over Germany. They were fascinating, reflecting on the role of luck in their survival, both having returned from missions with flak damage that could easily have been fatal. Around the site were living history encampments covering various eras from Romans through to World War II, the re-enactors also giving demonstrations such as missile weapons through the ages with slings, javelins, bows, a trebuchet and early artillery. Napoleonic cavalry showed their skill at arms with sword and lance: My wife then went to see Monty Don talking about the history of British gardens,… Read full this story
- Cheltenham Festival Gold Cup result LIVE – Sizing John (7/1) wins, latest odds before final race
- 17 Movies to See at the Tribeca Film Festival This Year
- Gold Cup 2017 betting guide & tips – latest odds from the Cheltenham Festival
- Gold Cup tips – Who should I bet on at the big race of the Cheltenham Festival?
- Cheltenham Festival Tips – Day Four: Templegate picks his winners for the Gold Cup and more
- Cheltenham Festival Gold Cup Tips – ITV’s Matt Chapman picks for the 3.30 and more
- Cheltenham Gold Cup 2017 results – Who won it, who is Sizing John, what was the result?
- A New Real Housewife and Rachel Brosnahan’s Dogs Are Coming to Vulture Festival
- The 21-Year History of the Song ‘99 Problems’
- Craving a summer music festival? Here’s a state-by-state gig guide
Chalke Valley History Festival 2017 have 325 words, post on www.kiasa.org at July 4, 2017. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.