The leaders of Japan and South Korea and the Chinese premier put on a united face during talks in Tokyo on Wednesday about the future of the Korean Peninsula and North Korea’s nuclear weapons program, although there is still little trust in Japan in the regime of Kim Jong Un, and a widely held belief that the recent bout of diplomatic activity will ultimately come to naught. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe hosted Moon Jae-in, the South Korean president, and Premier Li Keqiang at the Akasaka Palace state guesthouse for a trilateral summit before bilateral talks between the three leaders in the afternoon. The three nations have had deep political differences in recent years and the three-way meeting was the first of its kind since November 2015, underlining the regional effort to bring about the abolition of North Korea’s nuclear arsenal and its ballistic missile capability. In their communique issued at the end of the meeting, the three leaders welcomed recent developments that have — on the surface — helped to reduce tensions in the region, and vowed to continue to enforce strict sanctions on North Korea and to work together to achieve the denuclearization of the regime. Read more: China supports North… Read full this story
- ‘It was like war’: South Korea reveal ill-tempered World Cup qualifying clash with North Korea in Pyongyang
- Calling North Korea's Bluff Will Force China to Crack Down
- North Korea - Holiday in a Secret State
- Son of high-profile South Korean defector 'moves to North Korea'
- North Korea played like it was 'waging war' in Pyongyang match, says South
- North Korea, South Korea drew 0-0 in blacked-out World Cup qualifier
- Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un hail 'immortal' China-North Korea relationship
- 'It was like war,' says South Korea after Pyongyang match
- The North Korea-South Korea World Cup Qualifier Was Played In A Silent, Violent Haze
- North Korea Sanctions - Is This the Right Approach
North Korea denuclearization: Can Pyongyang be trusted? have 310 words, post on www.dw.com at January 9, 2018. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.