FOR the past couple of years, new mums have been able to share their paid leave from work with their other halves. But only two per cent of couples have taken up the Government scheme to split childcare. Ministers are now spending £1.5million on a publicity campaign to encourage mums and dads to “share the joy” of parenthood. But after carting your child around for nine months and going through labour, would you actually want to give your other half a piece of the maternity pie? Here, LYNSEY CLARKE and JOELY CHILCOTT ask two new mums if they would share their statutory leave. Yes – Says teacher Phillippa, 32 TEACHER Philippa Haigh shared the time off to look after son Reuben, 20 months, with her husband, teaching cover supervisor Andrew Morse, 38. She thinks other couples should do the same. Philippa, 32, from Stratford, East London, says: “After having our son in June 2016, I took six months’ leave but it made financial sense for Andy to take the last three months. “I can see why some mums feel they deserve to take the full nine months covered by statutory pay after giving birth. “I felt like that at first… Read full this story
- Maternity Leave—Not Higher Pay—Is the WNBA’s Real Win
- Life in the Only Industrialized Country Without Paid Maternity Leave
- Why Pregnant Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Won't Take Maternity Leave After Her Third Child's Birth
- Charley Webb makes shock announcement about her future on Emmerdale following maternity leave
- Meghan Markle Announces End of Maternity Leave with Her First Official Post-Baby Engagement!
- NTAs 2020: Dancing On Ice's Caprice Bourret puts on brave face amid mysterious split from skating partner Hamish Gaman
- Caprice Bourret branded 'lazy diva' after savage split with skate partner Hamish
- Meghan Markle Takes a Break from Maternity Leave to Watch Pal Serena Williams at Wimbledon
- Work in the Only Industrialized Country Without Paid Maternity Leave
- Weekend Today's Jayne Azzopardi shares a hilarious behind-the-scenes clip of what she REALLY looked like on her last day of work before maternity leave
Would you ‘share joy of parenthood’ and split maternity leave with your partner? have 342 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 15, 2018. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.