The Class-A Staten Island Yankees have one of the cleverest and most well-regarded promotions this season, as they occasionally rebrand themselves as the Staten Island Pizza Rats. It celebrates the 2015 viral video of a subway rat who likes pizza, and acknowledges a 2016 fan vote to change the team’s name. The name change isn’t permanent, but the Yankees will wear Pizza Rats gear for five games this season, and some of the logos are pretty great: The fourth of five Pizza Rat games is scheduled for July 21. That was also supposed to be Italian Heritage Night at the ballpark, until the Italian-American fraternal organization involved with the promotion pulled out, citing the apparent incompatibility of Pizza Rats with baseball fans of Italian descent. The Staten Island Advance has obtained a letter from a member of Order Sons of Italy in America, Fr. Vincent R. Capodanno Lodge #212, explaining to other members why the group is upset. Here’s the relevant part: “S.I (Yankees) Management has decided to promote the Staten Island Yankees Team by temporarily renaming it “The Staten Island Pizza Rats”. Yes! I would not kid you about such a thing. If you are slapping your forehead and… Read full this story
- Major League Baseball Players in Japan - Strangers in Paradise
- D.C. & Capitol Hill Politics Intertwine With MLB Ownership
- Banning All Corporal Punishment of Children
- China Part I
- Sport as War - The Racial Politics of Football
- What Is The Best Minimum-Wage Job?
- Is the Chipko Movement Towards Forest Appraisal
- All Apologies, All The Time
- The Church and Ministry Should Treat the Wounded, NOT Inflict the Wounds
- Are You Interested In Knowing More About Monterey California?
Italian Heritage Group Manages To Get Offended By Minor League "Pizza Rats" Promotion have 273 words, post on deadspin.com at June 25, 2018. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.