The Brookhaven Bucks swept the Marietta Patriots in the best-of-three Sunbelt Baseball League Championship Series (August 3-4), to win the first title in team history.
Jacob Gassert (LaGrange), Zavier Lushington (Young Harris), Cole Neuber (Georgia Tech) and Lyndon Weaver (Eastern Kentucky) all had multiple hits for the Bucks in the championship clinching game.
Pitchers Austin Hunter (Belmot Abbey), Tyler Elkins (Undecided) and Christopher Bergmoser (Chattahoochee Valley Community College) combined to hold the Patriots bats in check in the 11-4 victory.
“The guys really put it all together at the end of the season and I’m really proud of them,” said Corey Patterson, the Bucks head coach.
Throughout the season, the Bucks were led offensively by:
- Brenton Sanders (Georgia Tech), .333 average and 6 doubles;
- Zach Williams (College of Charleston), .328 average;
- Lushington, .309 average, 8 doubles, 15 RBI and 11 SB;
- Neuber, .304 average and 9 RBI;
- John Cable (Georgia), .296 average and 15 RBI;
- Connor Stutts (Alabama), 8 HR, 25 RBI and 21 R.
The Bucks pitching staff led the Sunbelt Baseball League with a 3.21 team ERA. Leading the staff were:
- Williams, 4-0, 0.98 ERA, 27.1 IP, 30 SO;
- Bergmoser, 1-0, 2 saves, 1.28 ERA, 21 IP, 21 SO;
- Jordan Ward (Jacksonville), 5-2, 1.56 ERA, 46 IP, 34 SO;
- Harrison Fant (Central Alabama), 3-2, 2.43 ERA, 40.2 IP, 42 SO;
- Keyton Gibson (Georgia Tech), 1-1, 2 saves, 2.76 ERA, 13 IP, 17 SO;
- Hunter, 2-1, 2.93 ERA, 43 IP, 38 SO.
The Bucks finished the season with a 21-13 record, which is the most wins in the 8-year history of the franchise. Stutts set new team records for home runs (8) and RBI (25) and Jack Rubenstein (Emory) set a new record for number of times being hit by a pitch (18).
The Brookhaven Bucks are members of the Sunbelt Baseball League, a summer collegiate wooden-bat league that is funded in part by Major League Baseball. The league has six teams around the metro-Atlanta area (Alpharetta, Brookhaven, Marietta, Norcross, Lawrenceville and Suwanee). Bucks home games are played at Oglethorpe University. Primrose School of Brookhaven is the Bucks lead sponsor.
For more information on the Bucks, please visit brookhavenbucks.com. For the latest news about the team, please like the Brookhaven Bucks at facebook.com/brookhavenbucks, follow on Twitter @BrookhavenBucks or on Instagram @Brookhaven.Bucks.
- Laing wins Trident Basketball League Championship
- New Futures Collegiate Baseball League team set for Westfield
- Bay Area independent baseball league’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad offseason continues
- Christ Our King-Stella Maris 8th grade basketball teams win Parochial League championships
- Velveteen Dream Wins NXT North American Championship from Johnny Gargano
- UVM wins the America East Championship
- Foothill League: Hart, West Ranch, Valencia race for another baseball league title
- An even dozen: Idaho’s top boys basketball program wins its 12th state championship
- Saunders: 10 things the Rockies must do to win the National League West
- Yale Takes on Harvard at Ivy League Championship in New Haven