The daring theme of this year’s convention (“Stop Hate, Vote”) was right on target, given that the 2018 midterm elections are just a few months away. Panels and breakout sessions also focused on social justice and civil rights in the Trump Era, conversations that NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson deemed “highly necessary.” “As we begin to look at the critical landscape—with the increase in intolerance and hatred—we realize that the 2016 elections resulted in a new level of boldness for racists to display their racism,” Johnson said. “The only way to counter that is to vote…Vote on the midterm elections, so that we can hold elected officials accountable and make sure that they implement positive change.” The convention also included a diverse career fair, educational seminars, workshops on public policy, and a special hip-hop summit. Johnson also spoke about the importance of millennials and their community and political engagement. “Millennials should understand that their role in democracy is the same as everyone else’s,” Johnson said. “We are African Americans first and we owe it to our communities to use all of the tools necessary to better impact our society.” Championing this effort, NAACP Chairman Leon W. Russell shared his… Read full this story
- The Political Convention Where Bernie’s Revolution Reigns
- The Democratic Wave May Depend on Millennials Becoming Unusually Motivated to Vote
- 12 Young People on Why They Probably Won’t Vote
- Democrats Voted To Strip Power From Superdelegates
- Scottish referendum: Shock new poll says Scots set to vote for independence
- Google Really, Really, Really Wants You to Vote
- Mary Anne Marsh: Democrats' top two contenders as Iowa and NH votes draw near
- Criminal barristers in England and Wales to vote on walkout over pay
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Series Finale Close-Up: The End
- Republicans launch disruption strategy to try to stop House Judiciary Committee's first impeachment hearing with repeated procedural interruptions - after chair Jerry Nadler says Donald Trump engaged in 'pattern of misconduct'
NAACP convention closes with call to vote, importance of millennial engagement have 321 words, post on amsterdamnews.com at August 4, 2018. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.