Tech & ScienceFriday marks ten years since SpaceX launched its Falcon 1 rocket into orbit around Earth. A huge milestone for commercial space travel, this was the first time a privately-developed liquid fuel rocket had reached such a target.A decade on, we have seen awe-inspiring success and devastating failure from the world of private space exploration. As NASA pushes ahead with its commercial crew program, critics continue to question the viability of private space travel, whether it’s suborbital space flights—as Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic and Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origins are currently planning—or missions that take humans way beyond the Karman line, like Elon Musk’s SpaceX wants to deliver.Although companies like SpaceX and Boeing are working closely with NASA on this program, no private rockets have yet delivered humans into space. “Virgin Galactic and SpaceX are well behind schedule, and Blue Origin has not yet said when it will begin to offer flights,” John Logsdon, founder and former director of George Washington University’s Space Policy Institute, told Newsweek.When companies finally begin to offer flights, he added, they’ll need to have far more successes than problems—and no fatal accidents at all.Virgin Galactic saw tragedy in 2014 when co-pilot Michael Alsbury perished as the VSS Enterprise… Read full this story
- SpaceX launches tiny critters, solar panels to space station
- When Will We Have Civilian Space Travel?
- SpaceX launch LIVE stream: Watch Elon Musk and co launch 88 satellites into orbit tonight
- SpaceX launches 88 satellites in rideshare mission
- SpaceX launch latest: Super Heavy booster rolls out for round of testing at Boca Chica
- SpaceX launch scrubbed: Elon Musk's Starship SN11 faces FAA scrutiny after past explosions
- 'Go Falcon 9, go GPS!': Elon Musk's SpaceX launches Space Force military satellite with a REUSED booster for the first time
- SpaceX launches satellites in rare polar orbit mission
- Elon Musk fury as rogue aircraft scrubs SpaceX launch at last second 'System is broken'
- Ready For Blast Off: Billionaire Charles Simonyi On What To Pack For Space Travel
SpaceX Launched Falcon 1 A Decade Ago Today: Is Private Space Travel Still Viable? have 330 words, post on www.newsweek.com at September 28, 2018. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.