As a lifelong Chicagoan, sure I’ve heard the many cracks about how dumb we all are to eat deep-dish when other pizza exists. They culminate in this particular legendary rant by Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, who calls deep-dish “a fucking casserole.” As a kid in the illustrious suburb of Worth “The Friendly Village,” Illinois, every Friday of my grade-school life, my family ordered take-out (never delivery) pizza from Pizza Pete at the corner of 111th Street and Oak Park Avenue. This pizza had a beady-eyed mascot I will remember until the day I die, crumbly fennel-filled sausage, and—thin crust. My southwest Chicago-side family, friends, and neighbors knew of deep dish, of course, but it was a special occasion kind of thing. Like downtown tourists, my teenaged friends and I would make a special trip to Gino’s East downtown to taste the Chicago classic, or hit the Giordano’s at 127th and Harlem for stuffed pizza after school dances. But deep-dish pizza, for as much as it’s touted as the official Chicago food, was no more a part of our daily lives than holiday eggnog or the Plush Horse ice cream parlor on Southwest Highway. Thin-crust, tavern-style pizza cut into… Read full this story
- How many calories are in that pizza? Chain restaurants now have to tell you.
- Pizza! Pizza!: Little Caesar’s Repeated Term Slogans Are Not a “Family of Marks”
- Larry Klayman to Newsmax TV: GOP 'in Deep You Know What'
- Trademarks: No Family!Family! of Marks for Little Caesars
- Marcus Jordan is making his own name — and becoming his own man — at UCF
- Scalia Confounded by Prevalence of F-Word, Clear on Lack of Protection for Gays, Women
- Tourists May Have to Pay $5-$10 to Drive Down Lombard Street
- The Conners: Dan is pursued by longtime friend Louise in his first teased romance since death of Roseanne character
- San Diego's best vegan restaurants
- Sessions in the City: 2017 annual meeting will hit the streets of New York
Deep dish is not the pizza of choice for most Chicagoans have 326 words, post on thetakeout.com at October 25, 2018. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.