The Fast and Furious family just got bigger. Vin Diesel has been working on getting a Fast & Furious Female Spin-Off going since 2017, and we initially heard about it in October of last year. Universal Pictures is very keen on getting more projects within this franchise going, as it’s become a true cash cow for them in recent years. Now, this particular project has taken a major step forward, as Diesel has announced a trio of female writers who are going to be handling the spin-off.
Vin Diesel recently took to Instagram and shared a photo of himself, alongside his producing partner and sister, Samantha Vincent. In the post, he revealed they recently heard a pitch for the proposed spin-off and apparently, things went pretty well. Here’s what Diesel had to say about it.
As for the writers themselves, this is a major trio of talent who has been climbing the Hollywood ladder in recent years. Both Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Nicole Perlman have been working with Marvel. They both contributed to the Captain Marvel screenplay and Perlman co-wrote Guardians of the Galaxy. Robertson-Dworet was also attached to the Silver and Black Spider-Man spin-off at Sony before that got shelved. Lindsey Beer, meanwhile, wrote the YA novel adaptation Chaos Walking, which stars Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland, as well as the Netflix movie Sierra Burgess Is a Loser.
As for this pitch? That’s anyone’s guess at this point. It seems like a lock that Michelle Rodriguez would come back as Letty. There’s also Ramsey, as portrayed by Nathalie Emmanuel, from the more recent entries. But the story details are going to remain locked up good and tight until this movie becomes a bit closer to reality. It appears as though things are moving in the right direction though and that Universal is committed to getting this done, since they’ve hired a heavy-hitting trio to take it on.
And again, financially, why not? The eight movies in the franchise have grossed a staggering $5.1 billion globally and, for the most part, the box office gross is going up with each subsequent entry. Currently, Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are filming Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, the first of these spin-offs to actually enter production. That movie is scheduled for release on August 2. For now, the female-led spin-off is without a release date, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted as more details on the project are made available. Be sure to check out the post from Vin Diesel’s Instagram below.
- 'Fast & Furious' parts 9 and 10 get release dates — more than a year before eighth installment hits theaters
- Michelle Rodriguez thanks Vin Diesel for support of female stars amid ‘Fast and the Furious’ controversy
- Examining Vin Diesel's filmography as the 'Fast and Furious' star turns 50 this week
- Helen Mirren sought out ‘Fate of the Furious’ role by asking Vin Diesel at a party to write her into gearhead franchise
- Vin Diesel says he felt Paul Walker on ‘The Fate of the Furious’ set 'every day' as cast speeds into new trilogy
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson thanks ‘Fast and Furious’ co-stars, but leaves out Vin Diesel amid pair’s ongoing feud
- Vin Diesel says Paul Walker had a major influence on him becoming a father: ‘He put me on the right path’
- Vin Diesel says Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson ‘shined’ in his ‘Fast and Furious’ role amid feud rumors
- Vin Diesel warns ‘don’t beat anybody up’ as co-star Tyrese Gibson sides with him amid drama with Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson
- Vin Diesel pays tribute to Paul Walker while filming for ‘Fast 8,’ says late co-star would be 'proud'