Community management may be one potential path to making inroads at a development studio, but before you take that job, you’d best heed the advice of one of the MMO industry’s veteran designers.
Crowfall’s Raph Koster posted a list of advice for those who step into the role of community engagement. The 14 items offer a range of smart tactics, from “don’t get a swelled head” to “always be honest,” but above all of it, there’s the sense that community management is a delicate balance that requires a shrewd and deft touch.
It’s also good advice to anyone who posts in comments, forums, or on Reddit: “Give attention only to that which you want to encourage. Your attention is a precious gift. If you spend it on troublemakers, you’ll just make more of them.”
Got any community management advice you’d like to share?
- Troubled health trust creates new £50k communications manager post
- Raph Koster’s Postmortems helps online game devs avoid past mistakes
- Regional Partnership Names Startup Ecosystem & Communications Manager
- Undaunted and ready: Meet Sixolise Gcilishe, the EFF’s new communications manager
- Sentry Management Des Moines Office Expands Homeowner Association Management to Fourteenth State
- Sentry Management Announces New Hartford CT Relationship with PPM
- 40Cloud and Locus Energy Partner to Deliver Cyber Security and Network Management for Solar Fleets
- Community Spotlight: Farm for the City
- House Bill Would Reverse Progress on U.S. Ocean Fish Management
- Volunteers needed to provide debt advice to Dundee’s poorest folk