Eric Lacy Lansing State Journal Published 5:04 AM EDT Mar 14, 2019 East Lansing has seen its share of big public disturbances, from the Cedar Fest celebrations of the 1980s to the 1999 riot that followed the MSU basketball team’s loss to Duke in the Final Four to the bagel-throwing revelry after the football team’s last-second victory over Michigan in 2015. Some involved public acts of protest, others mass arrests and public destruction. Below is a look at several since the early 1980s. Testing the anti-block party ordinance Oct. 29, 1983 People in Cedar Village put the city’s anti-block party ordinance to the test to kick off MSU’s Homecoming weekend festivities. Among an estimated crowd of 1,500 people, police arrest 37. People smash the windows of a police car. During the melee, an officer breaks his nose and suffers a mouth injury, requiring 12 stitches to close the wound. More than 4,000 at Cedar Fest May 18, 1985 Between 4,000 and 6,000 people attend Cedar Fest. There are 14 arrests and nine injuries. Police and East Lansing officials report $1,200 to $2,500 in damage caused by bottle-wielding partygoers. Seven people suffer head cuts caused by thrown beer bottles. One man breaks his leg falling from a balcony and an officer’s… Read full this story
- The history of fire in Australia — and how it can help us face the bushfires of the future
- Scots author Iain Banks celebrated by deep dives adventurer
- From a broken home in Minnesota to transforming the history of pop music forever: How Prince became one of the most influential artists of all time before premature death at 57
- London riots: Home secretary flies back after second night of violence
- London riots spread south of Thames
- 'This is going to be huge': Australia's east coast is smashed by the biggest rain blast in years leaving cars submerged and shops flooded - but crucially putting out a THIRD of bushfires - and there's wilder weather on its way
- How Kolkata's street food comes alive in full glory during Durga Puja celebrations
- Lohri 2020: Significance Of Celebrating This Beautiful Festival Of Worshiping Fire
- Malibu’s hidden history is lying in plain sight. Here’s how to find it
- Nicki Minaj Under Fire After Dissing Rosa Parks In New Song "Yikes"
The history of riots, fires and celebrations in East Lansing have 358 words, post on eu.lansingstatejournal.com at February 13, 2019. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.