o Facebook is facing new questions about the influence of “dark money” on its platform after BuzzFeed News established a link between Britain’s Future, the shadowy pro-Brexit group that is now the biggest-spending political advertiser on the social network in the UK, and another obscure group that has also been using Facebook to promote a hard withdrawal from the European Union.Earlier this month, BuzzFeed News reported that Facebook’s transparency measures were under fresh scrutiny because of Britain’s Future’s sudden and mystifying emergence as a major force in political campaigning. In just a few months, the site has spent more than £410,000 lobbying MPs to oppose Theresa May’s Brexit deal — overtaking the UK government, the three major political parties, and Remain-supporting campaigns backed by corporate heavyweights — while giving no information about its origins or sources of funding other than to say it is funded by donations.Now a second hard-Brexit campaign is also attracting scrutiny from MPs and transparency campaigners. We Are The 52% has spent nearly £50,000 on ads promoting a clean break from the EU, placing it seventh on the list of top political advertisers on Facebook since the social media giant began publishing spending data in October,… Read full this story
- US phone call raises further questions over grant to Boris Johnson’s friend
- Chiropractors give a big boost to people’s veto campaign against new vaccine law
- Why You Won't Sleep Tonight Until You Discover 5 Secrets to Gain New Customers
- Report: Major Political Website's Owners Secretly Running Far-Right Facebook Page
- Brexit showdown: Who were Tory rebels who defied Boris Johnson?
- Labour remainers warn leave MPs: don’t help Johnson win his Brexit deal
- Steve Baker, the ex-Brexit minister hell-bent on torpedoing May's Chequers plan
- DealBook Briefing: Investors Get Excited Over the Brexit Deal
- What are the concerns over Stormont's role in proposed Brexit deal?
- Brexit is a necessary crisis – it reveals Britain’s true place in the world
Hard Brexit, Dark Money: Links Between These Secretive Campaigns Raise New Questions For Facebook About Political Ads have 317 words, post on www.buzzfeed.com at March 30, 2019. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.