(CNN)In February 1964, an English boy band called the Beatles made its US television debut. Beatlemania, the intense fan frenzy directed towards the fab foursome, was gripping America and the group’s performance at the Ed Sullivan Theater was punctuated by fervent screaming from the studio audience. In May 2019, over 55 years later, another band of foreigners played the same theater. The visual similarities were striking — and intentional. The Korean newcomers sported the same style of slim-fit suits and floppy bowl cuts, emblazoned their name on their drum kit in the same font used by the Liverpudlian hitmakers, and even made their broadcast in black and white. Read More But this wasn’t the Beatles. It was BTS — a seven-man South Korean mega-group which is quite possibly the biggest boy band in the world right now. In April, BTS became only the third group in 50 years to have three number one albums on the Billboard 200 charts in less than 12 months, joining the ranks of The Beatles and The Monkees. The next month, BTS became the first group in Billboard history to spend five weeks at number one on the Billboard Artist 100 chart. Like the Beatles,… Read full this story
- BTS tops Billboard 100 list: How K-pop helped Korea improve its economy
- From K-pop to K-drama, Kimchi to K-beauty, Indian youngsters just can't get enough of Korea
- 5 things to know about K-Pop boy band Monsta X
- A Guide to BTS, and 7 Other Korean Boy Bands Making Waves in the U.S.
- Kim Jong-hyun: SHINee star dies amid an unforgiving K-pop industry
- Hommas, a unique part of K-pop fandom culture
- How K-Pop Conquered the West
- Inside BTS-mania: A Day in the Life of the K-Pop Superstars
- BTS supporters upset by Grammy shutout
- BTS won't get an exemption from military service authorities confirm
How a boy band from South Korea became the biggest in the world have 291 words, post on edition.cnn.com at June 1, 2019. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.