When an MMO gets big enough, you get its anti-fandom. This is not the same as people who don’t particularly like a game; some people are just not really into Ultima Online, for example, and that really only comes up if someone brings it up. But the anti-fandom would be the people who take time to specifically say how much they hate UO, who follow around news posts to add comments like “just so you know, UO sucks” whenever possible, who spend all of the energy of a fan but solely to constantly say, “Also, I don’t like this thing.”
This is definitely something that World of Warcraft has held onto for years, with people who proudly declare “I’ve never played that terrible game” or try to use the name itself as an invitation to look down on people who enjoy the title. But it’s hardly alone, as I’ve seen the same sort of anti-fandom behavior around Final Fantasy XIV, Guild Wars 2, and Star Citizen. So today, let’s talk about it. What’s the MMO with the biggest anti-fandom? Where do you feel you see the largest number of people dedicated to constantly talking about a game… specifically, to say that it’s bad?
Every morning, the Massively Overpowered writers team up with mascot Mo to ask MMORPG players pointed questions about the massively multiplayer online roleplaying genre. Grab a mug of your preferred beverage and take a stab at answering the question posed in today’s
- Happy Lights: How The Trail Blazers Brighten The NBA’s Daily Grind
- The Defensive Grind: What the Grizzlies’ ‘D’ needs to do to be elite
- NHL Rumor Roundup: What now? Biggest questions for 8 teams eliminated from 2018 playoffs
- ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ fans just flexed their way onto the Fandom 250 radar
- The 10 biggest storylines leading up to the 2018 Winter Games
- Cincinnati Bengals: Did We Make the Fandom 250?
- Michigan State Spartans nominated for FanSided’s Fandom 250
- Royals host anti-pornography seminar for players and coaches
- Wizards News: Guard Jodie Meeks Suspended 25 Games For Violating NBA Anti-Drug Program
- The Grim Enterprise Of What's Next For The Raptors