Africa is more vulnerable than any other region to the world’s changing weather patterns, explains climate specialist Richard Washington.The African continent will be hardest hit by climate change. There are four key reasons for this: First, African society is very closely coupled with the climate system; hundreds of millions of people depend on rainfall to grow their food Second, the African climate system is controlled by an extremely complex mix of large-scale weather systems, many from distant parts of the planet and, in comparison with almost all other inhabited regions, is vastly understudied. It is therefore capable of all sorts of surprises Third, the degree of expected climate change is large. The two most extensive land-based end-of-century projected decreases in rainfall anywhere on the planet occur over Africa; one over North Africa and the other over southern Africa Finally, the capacity for adaptation to climate change is low; poverty equates to reduced choice at the individual level while governance generally fails to prioritise and act on climate change Is Africa sleepwalking into a potential catastrophe?Monsoons alteringAfrican climate is replete with complexity and marvels. The Sahara is the world’s largest desert with the deepest layer of intense heating anywhere on Earth…. Read full this story
- Climate change reinforces inequalities - even in developed countries
- Google launches program to help sustainability startups, amid climate change criticism
- 'There should be no nuclear in climate financing'
- Bananas Aren't Going to Do Well Under Climate Change, Scientists Warn
- Sweeping and Severe: IPCC Oceans Report Warns of Huge Consequences of Climate Change for 'Nature and Humanity'
- Climate Change Is Turbocharging Growth of City Trees. And That's Really Bad News
- 'Historic moment' for indigenous people at climate talks, new climate leader says
- Biggest ever seaweed bloom stretches from Gulf of Mexico to Africa
- 'Our Futures Are at Risk': Meet the Kids Skipping School to Join the Global Climate Strike
- Global climate strike sees 'hundreds of thousands' of Australians rally across the country
How Africa will be affected by climate change have 320 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at December 15, 2019. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.