Email Posted March 03, 2020 19:13:09 Video: Indonesia’s most active volcano erupts (ABC News) Related Story: Indonesian volcano erupts, sending people fleeing as ash rains down Related Story: Indonesia’s Mount Merapi volcano erupts Related Story: Mount Merapi locals return to danger zone Map: Indonesia Indonesia’s most active volcano has erupted, sending a 6-kilometre column of ash into the sky and triggering the closure of the airport in the nearby city of Solo on Java. Key points:Villagers living on Merapi’s fertile slopes are advised to stay 3km from the crater’s mouthThe eruption lasted almost eight minutesThe last major eruption of Mount Merapi, in 2010, killed 353 people The eruption of Mount Merapi on the main island of Java also unleashed searing gas clouds 2km down its slopes, Indonesia’s Geology and Volcanology Research Agency said on its website.The agency said villagers living on Merapi’s fertile slopes were advised to stay 3km from the crater’s mouth as the ash made the rain thick and muddy in several villages.It said the eruption lasted almost eight minutes after it began at 5:22am on Tuesday (local time) and warned of a risk of further eruptions due to continuing movements of magma. Photo: Volcanic ash has engulfed… Read full this story
- Japan’s Mount Aso erupts with fireball explosion as seven-mile high plume of ash cover cars and buildings for 200 miles around
- Which active volcanoes are most likely to erupt next and how many are there in the world?
- Tenerife volcano latest news – will Mount Teide erupt and how many earthquakes have struck the Canary Island?
- Tenerife has 100 mini earthquakes leading to fears giant volcano Mount Teide will blow
- Life under the shadow of an active volcano
- Indonesia eyes volcano-powered energy
- Minimally active volcano may still cause travel delays
- Indonesian mud volcano will continue erupting for decades
- If the volcano in Tenerife erupts can I cancel my holiday and get my money back?
- Giant skull appears above Italian volcano Mount Vesuvius and it looks like VOLDEMORT
Indonesia's most active volcano, Mount Merapi, erupts and spews out 6km column of ash have 341 words, post on www.abc.net.au at March 3, 2020. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.