(The Conversation is an independent and nonprofit source of news, analysis and commentary from academic experts.) Tim Riley, Emerson College (THE CONVERSATION) Fifty years ago, when Paul McCartney announced he had left the Beatles, the news dashed the hopes of millions of fans, while fueling false reunion rumors that persisted well into the new decade. In a press release on April 10, 1970 for his first solo album, “McCartney,” he leaked his intention to leave. In doing so, he shocked his three bandmates. The Beatles had symbolized the great communal spirit of the era. How could they possibly come apart? Few at the time were aware of the underlying fissures. The power struggles in the group had been mounting at least since their manager, Brian Epstein, died in August of 1967. ‘Paul Quits the Beatles’ Was McCartney’s “announcement” official? His album appeared on April 17, and its press packet included a mock interview. In it, McCartney is asked, “Are you planning a new album or single with the Beatles?” His response? “No.” But he didn’t say whether the separation might prove permanent. The Daily Mirror nonetheless framed its headline conclusively: “Paul Quits the Beatles.” The others worried this could hurt… Read full this story
- Elvis Presley: Linda Thompson shares fun photos from dating The King almost 50 years ago
- Had to fall at bureaucrats' feet 50 years ago, but red-tape, licence raj came down under Modi govt: Cyrus Poonawalla
- 50 years ago women weren't allowed to run marathons
- How the beginning of ABC TV changed Darwin 50 years ago
- Supt Gerry Richardson: Tribute to officer killed on duty 50 years ago
- 50 Years Ago, They Did Something Rare in Gospel: Tied Music to Protest
- 50 years of the 1971 war | 10 films that move us and make us grateful that we have our freedoms
- 50 years on, The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper is getting better all the time | Digital Trends
- 50 years of Beatles' India-inspired 'White Album'
- 50 years since they met: Prince Charles and Camilla's love was 'immediate'
Inside the Beatles' messy breakup, 50 years ago have 321 words, post on www.sfgate.com at April 10, 2020. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.