President Trump defended his use of ”when looting starts, shooting stats’ saying Friday afternoon that he didn’t know it had racist origins. ‘It means when there’s looting, people get shot and they die,’ Trump said. ‘And if you look at what happened last night and the night before you see that it’s very common. And that’s the way that was meant.’ ‘But I don’t know where it came from, I don’t know where it originated,’ the president added. Trump has been under fire since 1 a.m. for tweeting the phrase and aiming it at protesters in Minneapolis who have taken to the streets to demonstrate over the death of George Floyd, a black resident who was killed by police. At an afternoon ‘news conference’ the president refused to answer questions on Floyd’s death – and his controversial tweet – but he opened up his second public event, a coronavirus business roundtable, with a statement on Floyd and the protests, and later spoke to the press. He said he had called the ‘terrific’ family of Floyd, calling his death a ‘terrible event.’ He also warned the protesters who have set fire to Minneapolis. ‘It’s very important that we have peaceful protesters… Read full this story
- Republican Senate hopeful and Trump favorite ‘caught in leaked audio distancing himself from president to black leaders’
- Boris Johnson is 'breathing unassisted' and does NOT have pneumonia: Downing Street say PM is 'stable' and in 'good spirits' in intensive care as he battles coronavirus
- Donald Trump makes claim that tape of killing of Ahmaud Arbery might not be complete and claims something happens off camera which needs to be investigated
- 'My son died and so should they': Ahmaud Arbery's mother says she wants Georgia prosecutors to pursue the death penalty against her son's killers if they're found guilty of murder
- 'I am not a vigilante': Man who filmed shocking footage of Ahmaud Arbery being shot dead says through his lawyer that he followed him because there had been 'a number of crimes in the neighborhood' - despite cops saying there had been none
- 'I strongly believe man who made the video was involved': Ahmaud Arbery's mom hits out at man who filmed her son's shooting as she tells Dr. Phil she wants those responsible 'prosecuted to the highest'
- Donald Trump unloads on his critics again claiming 'dirty cops and politicians' will 'pay a big price' for dropped prosecution of Mike Flynn - and says 'I learned a lot from Richard Nixon - don't fire people!'
- Lindsey Graham will NOT meet Donald Trump's call to summon Barack Obama for questioning about Mike Flynn's prosecution as he cites 'executive privilege' concerns after Trump demands '50-year sentences'
- EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump will be banished from the 'club' of living former Presidents for 'cardinal sins' such as trashing Obama and George W. Bush and failing to show his predecessors respect, new book reveals
- Joe Biden calls shooting of unarmed black man by two white men in Georgia 'cold blooded MURDER' and says family of Ahmaud Arbery need justice
Donald Trump DEFENDS his 'when looting starts, shooting stats' tweet saying 'it means when there's looting people get shot and they die' as he reveals he spoke to George Floyd's 'terrific' family have 507 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 29, 2020. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.