The list of U-turns carried out by Boris Johnson’s government in its response to Covid-19 continues to grow. After apparent failures on the contact-tracing app and a change of heart on school opening dates and A-level results, face masks have become the latest issue in the spotlight. Here are of some of the government’s missteps so far: 25 August: face masks in schools After hundreds of schools prepared to defy official Public Health England advice, which said it “does not recommend” face masks in schools, Boris Johnson made an 11th-hour U-turn on the issue days before classrooms were due to reopen. In lockdown areas with extra restrictions, wearing face coverings will become mandatory in school corridors where social distancing is difficult, and in other areas of England headteachers will have discretion over school policy. The move came after pressure from teachers around the country who urged their use, and following Scotland’s announcement that secondary school pupils should wear masks in communal areas. 17 August: A-level and GCSE results The government was forced to act after A-level grades were downgraded through a controversial algorithm developed by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation, leading to almost 40 % of grades awarded… Read full this story
- Man deported 11 times who’s suspected of attacking wife with chainsaw adds fuel to immigration fight
- Small businesses and start-ups call on UK government for leg-up
- Election debacle leaves UK government in a minority on eve of Brexit talks
- Scientist Hawking blames UK government for health service 'crisis'
- UK government delays Fox's takeover bid of Sky; regulators express concern about Murdoch family's influence
- Giants face first real test, can prove themselves in game against Steelers
- Donald Trump Faces an Enormous Test Tonight
- While federal government turns the clock back, states make crucial progress on criminal justice reform
- Canadian health care worker caught punching elderly dementia patient 11 times in the face
- Reality Check: Does UK spend half as much on health as US?
From face masks to Covid testing: 11 times the UK government has U-turned have 316 words, post on www.theguardian.com at August 25, 2020. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.