Confusion over the true scale of England’s second wave was sparked today as one study claimed there are now more than 100,000 new cases every day but another put the figure at only half of that.A Government-funded study by Imperial College London estimated that 96,000 people are catching Covid-19 in England every day and that the outbreak is doubling in size every nine days, piling more pressure on ministers to act to prevent another crisis.But research also published today by the University of Cambridge estimates that the true number of daily cases is more like 55,600 and the doubling time 17 days.The two reports present a confusing picture, with Imperial suggesting London is the worst-hit region in England with an reproduction rate (R) of a staggering 2.86, while Cambridge suggests the capital actually has the slowest outbreak in the country, with an R of 1.04.Testing by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) last week suggested that there were 35,200 new cases per day in the week up to October 18, putting it closest to the Cambridge prediction. This is expected to rise again in the next report which will be published tomorrow.Official testing by the Department of Health shows an average… Read full this story
- 'There is no sign of a second wave': Experts rubbish Matt Hancock's warning a surge in Covid-19 hospitalisations is coming - as they put UK's rise in cases down to better testing finding 'young, healthy, symptomless people' who are unlikely to die
- Europe's second wave continues to hit the continent, with France's Covid-19 R rate hitting 1.4, Spain topping the US in cases per million and Italy recording its highest daily case toll since May
- Matt Hancock warns a 'worst case scenario' could see the UK go back into nationwide lockdown or 'very extensive' local restrictions this winter
- Britain's daily cases jump 24% in a week while death rate continues to creep up with nine more victims as SAGE says England's Covid-19 R rate could now be ABOVE one - but ONS data claims infections have shrunk AGAIN to just 2,200 a day
- Threat of virulent COVID-19 second waves in G20 economies
- France becomes Europe’s coronavirus hotspot as it records highest EVER daily case figure
- The Mystery of Europe’s Less-Deadly Coronavirus Second Wave
- California reports record daily cases, passes New York for most in U.S.
- Business leaders rage at Matt Hancock's 'scaremongering' talk about a second lockdown as they warn of 'untold damage' to businesses trying to recover from coronavirus lockdown
- Coronavirus: Warning over second wave unless deprived areas are targeted
What's the TRUTH behind England's second wave? Imperial report warns of 100,000 daily cases and says the outbreak is doubling every nine days — but Cambridge experts estimate the figures are 55,000 and 17 days have 416 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 29, 2020. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.