share this article bookmark article share on facebook share on twitter share on Linkedin share on whatsapp share on email Share this article Whatsapp Facebook Twitter Linkedin Share Kyodo News Yangon, Myanmar ● Fri, April 30, 2021 2021-04-30 10:45 3 559f5bc8c5224ad06a25184c0a43834b 2 SE Asia Myanmar,Coup,Min-Aung-Hlaing,democracy,economic-crisis Free Three months on from the Feb. 1 military coup in Myanmar, Japan’s diplomatic efforts to persuade the Southeast Asian country’s junta to reverse course have yet to bear fruit. Myanmar security forces have killed some 750 peaceful protestors and other citizens, according to an activist monitoring group, a sign that Japan’s suspension of new aid projects, alongside sanctions by the United States and other Western powers on senior generals and the companies they control, have not been effective in addressing the crisis. Referring to his meeting April 24 with Association of Southeast Asian Nations leaders in Jakarta, junta chief Min Aung Hlaing said he would carefully consider suggestions from ASEAN on steps to end the turmoil, but only after the situation stabilizes — signaling the junta is unlikely to stop using force, receive an ASEAN envoy or hold dialogue with rival groups anytime soon. Myanmar is a member of 10-member ASEAN. Citing the… Read full this story
- Shortages plague Cuba as U.S. sanctions sharpen economic woes
- DealBook Briefing: Global Economic Woes Shake the Markets
- 'France's economic woes aren't Germany's fault'
- Jackson: Economic Woes Mean ‘Double Trouble’ for Blacks
- Economic woes weigh on Canadian auto sales
- The Pope just called investment products that helped cause the financial crisis a 'ticking time bomb'
- Can Tiny Houses In People’s Backyards Help Alleviate The Homelessness Crisis?
- While China and the US spar over trade, Europe quietly heads for its worst year since the financial crisis
- Best Business Books 2017: Economics
- Best Business Books 2018: Economics
Myanmar's economic woes may help persuade junta to end crisis have 294 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at April 30, 2021. This is cached page on MMOR. If you want remove this page, please contact us.